A world-class university — known globally as a leader in teaching, research and public service, the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities consistently ranks among the top six public research universities in the nation. More than 160 bachelor’s degrees, 150 master’s degrees and 100 doctoral degrees make the University one of the most comprehensive institutions in the country. Many of the programs are recognized as national and international leaders.
Also a thriving center for culture and the arts, The “U” features outstanding galleries, museums, concerts, theater productions and public lectures. Add in the excitement of Big Ten Athletics, and the University of Minnesota has something for everyone. The University community is a broad mix of ethnic backgrounds, interests and cultures. Students come from all 50 states and more than 100 countries. Many small communities of students, faculty and staff help to create a welcoming feeling on campus.
The campus in Minneapolis is located just a few minutes east of downtown. Nestled along the bluffs of the Mississippi River, buildings in Minneapolis range from the ultramodern Weisman Art Museum to the classic and stately Northrop Memorial Auditorium. A few miles to the east in St. Paul, rolling hills and quiet lawns create a more rural setting. The Minneapolis and St. Paul parts of the campus are connected by a convenient campus shuttle system.
The University of Minnesota also provides a life beyond the campus like few other Big Ten universities can. The dynamic communities of Minneapolis and St. Paul offer something for everyone—a nationally-recognized arts and theater community, a thriving entertainment industry, a host of Fortune 500 companies, four glorious seasons of outdoor recreation, exciting professional sports, shopping and restaurants for every taste, all located close to campus.
Founded in 1851, seven years before the territory of Minnesota became a state, the University is the largest in the state and touches the lives of thousands of people every day through its teaching, research and service.
• Founded in 1851, the University of Minnesota is one of the most comprehensive public universities in the United States and ranks among the most prestigious. It is both the state land-grant university and the state's only major research university.
• The Twin Cities campus has an enrollment of more than 51,000 ranking as the fourth-largest in the nation.
• The University's Twin Cities campus consistently ranks among the top six public research universities in the nation.
• More than 160 bachelor’s degrees, 150 master’s degrees and 100 doctoral degrees are offered.
• As one of the largest urban universities in the United States, the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities provides many opportunities for students, faculty and staff to participate in the thriving business, social and artistic communities of the metropolitan area.
• The University’s mission of teaching, research and service is felt throughout the state, the nation and the world. To ensure that this legacy continues, the University has embarked on an aggressive strategic plan to make this great University even greater.